People of this town had known many stories of how Orion got its name. Some folks say that Udyong was the first name adapted by this town. It came from the words “lu-ad” and “uryong” which meant muddy, because of the fact4 that the place was muddy and swampy during those times.
Another popular story was that during the Spanish regime, some Spanish soldiers happened to pass by this town. They did not know the name of the place so they asked the people they saw in the ricefields. One of the soldiers pointed his finger to the ground and asked “Que es el llama pueblo”. Not understanding Spanish the people thought that the soldier was referring to something he saw on the ground that happens to be a worm. The hurriedly answered “uod yon”, referring to the worm. When the soldiers heard the word, they thought that the citizens were referring to the name of the town, and left the place numbling to themselves. “Uod, uod yon”. Thus, the town was known as Udyong and was later changed to Orion.
The date of official recognition of the municipality of Orion could not be ascertained, however, records showed that this municipality was founded by a Dominican on April 30, 1667. On September 16 , 1852, a strong earthquake shook the whole archipelago and caused the destruction of the parochial church and was later rebuilt by Fr. Ulpiano Herrera, the parish priest of the place at that time. In 1892, forty years later, a big fire practically burned the whole town, that only three houses remained safe. It was Fr. Jose Campomanes who tried to reconstruct the town from the ashes and ruins of the fire and transformed it into a beautiful and prosper one. This was the beginning of the progress.
The town of Orion has contributed a great man to the country in the form of Don Cayetano Arellano, The first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, how was born in this town on March 2, 1847.
Another hero was Francisco Balagtas, greatest Filipino poet and author of the renowed “Florante at Laura”. He married Juana Tiambeng, a pretty lass of Orion, and lived here from July 1842 to February 1862.
It is 132 kilometers from Manila and approximately 31.2 nautical miles across Manila Bay. It is about 8 kilometers from Balanga, the provincial capital, and bounded on the north by Pilar and Limay on the south.
Has a total land area of 6,540 hectares and covers 23 barangays.
As of September 1995, Orion recorded a total population of 39,537. About 65% of these belong the labor force, of which 7,100 are skilled workers and 4,700 are semi-skilled.
Utilities and Amenities
Readily accessible through mini-buses and jeepneys cming from Balanga, and nearby municipalities. It can also be reached through the ferry services coming form the North Harbor in Manila.
The Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) services about 70% of the telephone subscribers in Orion while postal services are provided by the Philippine Postal Corporation.
The Penelco Substation is the sole provider of electricity in the municipality.
The Orion Water District supplies sufficient potable water to all barangays.
There are 32 schools and 14 health facilities found in Orion. Other support structures such as banks are located in the adjacent municipalities like Mariveles and Balanga which are only few kilometers away from Orion.
The port of Capinpin located in Barangay Puting Buhangin in Orion is now transformed into a modern port complex that shall feature a berthing facility, roll on- roll off(Ro-RO) ramp, breakwater and attendant structures. It shall cater to large cargo vessels and passenger ferries, promoting trade and tourism in the area.
The consequent influx of tourists resulting from the operation of the port provides a good opportunity for investors to engage in tourist-related activities like the development of resorts, hotels and restaurants.